When the internet first started, the only people who had websites were tech savvy. However, as technology became simpler to understand, almost anybody could set up a website. This has resulted in billions on sites being uploaded to the internet. Unfortunately, this means that it is become harder and harder for websites to stand out from their competitors.
Research has revealed that the average web user does not look past the first few pages of search engine results. The sites that are on these pages are websites that the search engine has determined to be the most “relevant” matches to the user’s search term. Businesses that want to gain traffic, improve brand recognition and increase their sales need to rank well in search engine results. The easiest way to do this is to use SEO.
Search engine optimization or SEO is the process of tweaking a website so that it appeals to search engines. The goal of SEO is to inform the search engine that the website involved is the best place that web users can get their information. Discussed below are some techniques webmasters can use to make this happen.
– Write great, unique content that offers readers useful information.
– Add new content on a regular basis. Ideally, webmasters will post new content at least 3 times a week.
– Use keywords in the content. A keyword is a word or selection of words that web users may enter into a search engine.
– Use the keyword in the content, in the title and in the META tags.
– Do not overuse the keyword as search engines tend to penalize websites that have too many and/or too frequent keywords appearing.
– Make the website easy to read and navigate.
– Get backlinks from other reputable websites.
The key to SEO is creating a high quality website that is easy on the reader’s eyes. There is a phrase that is commonly used by webmasters. It is “content is king”. This means that having good, useful information that is easy to read and comprehend is the most important part of SEO.
Websites that are not using SEO are doing themselves a disservice. Simple techniques such as changing the wording in a blog post can result in increased traffic. Higher traffic is desirable as the more people that see the website, the more money webmasters will make from advertising and/or product sales.